Selenium is an open source automation testing tool used for validating web applications and related products. It is highly reliable and flexible automation testing tool coz its API features several options for locating various User Interface elements and comparing acquired results against the actual application behavior and performance.
Need for Selenium Automation Testing:
In recent times, software development industries are planning various strategies to reduce the development cost and boost the productivity. So, automation testing is the best option to increase productivity coz it can run repeated test against the software application/system under test with faster execution speed. There are several commercial and open source automation testing tool available for performing functional, performance and regression testing like SOAPUI, Selenium, WebDriver, WebInject, Robotium, Jmeter, Junit, Nunit, etc.
Among these automation testing tools, selenium is considered as portable software testing framework and widely used automation testing tool available in the market at free of cost. The test scripts can be written in HTML tables or in several programming languages. Selenium automation testing tool is readily compatible with most of the modern web browsers. Like other automation tool, learning selenium will ensure better career prospects. Thus, taking selenium training from experienced professionals will help you to learn this automation tool from the scratch and gain industry exposure.
Advantage of Selenium:
- Selenium is an open source tool, which considered as best testing tool available in the market for validating web applications at free of cost.
- It is compatible with all modern browsers like Safari, Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc.
- Selenium supports all operating systems like Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.
- Test Scripts can be written various programming languages such as Java, .Net, Ruby, PHP, Perl, etc.
- It offers the options of using various integrated development environment like Eclipse, Visual Studio, NetBeans, etc. depending upon the choice of the platform.
- Selenium automation tool supports multiple tests at the same time
- Selenium grid can be used to distribute test across various servers and execute tests in parallel
- Selenium automation testing tool is mostly used for regression testing but also used in user Acceptance testing and Functional Testing.
- This automation testing tool easily returns the test on demand
Disadvantage of Selenium:
- Selenium does not support validating web applications
- It does support file from local hosts
- It very tricky to setup
In short, selenium is an open source automation tool which works on multiple operating systems, with cross browser support and test scripts in multiple programming languages.